Our mission is to improve the quality of life of those with life-limiting illness by providing guidance and warm, loving, supportive help to a dying person and family, and to keep intact the dignity, integrity and personal choices of the individual. One of only a handful of all-volunteer hospice organizations in the country, Hospice of San Juan focuses on the needs of individuals and families trying to cope with the reality of death as an approaching part of life's journey. We offer four main program areas: direct patient care and caregiver respite; grief support; community and volunteer education; and durable medical equipment lending. Founded in 1984 by a small group of dedicated island nurses and caregivers, we received non-profit status in 1985 and Federal 501(c) status in 1993 and currently work both independently and alongside Medicare-funded hospice services that come from Skagit County.
Grief support – our Spring grief support group has been consistently filled for the past 3 years. A professional grief support counselor runs this 6-week, pre-registration session. Additionally, we have an Autumn "handling holiday grief" session, which is open to everyone on a walk-in basis. Other sessions are scheduled during the year that address other topics such as anticipatory grief (contact us for more info)
Education – great interest in caregiver training and self care (all shown to have a positive impact on the end-of-life experience and use of the health care system) exists. Hospice of San Juan provides multifaceted and up-to-date training and education opportunities for its volunteers as well as the community to address issues surrounding end of life care and decision making. Many people desire greater control over their ability to live and die here in their own homes, or assist loved ones or clients facing that process. We strive to provide the educational tools needed in that effort
Durable medical equipment lending – Hospice of San Juan maintains a storage locker filled with lending items that homebound individuals might need, yet find difficult to obtain from off-island. Approximately 10% of lending goes to our patients, with the remaining 90% benefitting the wider community, enabling people to access important equipment that might make a difference in their ability to remain at home. Our volunteers sanitize and repair items upon return. Lending can be arranged by phoning us at 360.472.0322
Direct patient care and caregiver respite - Hospice of San Juan provides services specifically designed for the needs of those with life limiting conditions. Our trained volunteers become part of a team working with individuals and their families, primary caregivers, physicians and home health to: